Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rihanna bob: Is the back shaved or buzzed?

I love rihanna's graduated bob. I want to cut my long hair but fear and anxiety have stopped me so far. I worry about people staring at me when my long hair is cut off. What can I do. Is there anyway to pull of the type of cut with out clippers roaring up the back of your head?



Rihanna bob: Is the back shaved or buzzed?

I know what you mean - these styles look really good on other people and you're tempted to try them yourself. But the thought of watching your long hair being unceremoniously lopped off or feeling the clippers through the back of your hair is pretty scary!



People do find it fascinating to watch someone having long hair cut short. I know I do when I'm at the hairdressers and occasionally you'll see a girl taking the plunge - not sure why it is so mesmerising. Maybe because we know it is such a big emotional thing to do and you can't help but wonder how she's feeling as the hair starts falling to the floor and what it was that made her decide to do it.



I had a sweeping fringe cut into my hair (otherwise long layers to mid-back length) recently and it literally made me feel sick to my stomach as he gradually snipped away about 6 inches of hair to reveal my face...



I think the other thing is the way that they usually cut long hair to a short style - just for ease of working, they usually take all the length in a few quick snips at the start so you're left with a ragged chin-length bob, which they then style into the shorter "do". I always thought if I ever did have it all cut off I'd probably prefer if they started with the underneath sections at the back and moved forward, cutting the length out gradually. But I suppose it would all get tangled, and what's the difference, really, when it's gone, it's gone.



There have been other posts about avoiding the curious eyes of others as you sacrifice your tresses. Some of the better suggestions were:



- booking an appointment at a quiet time (early morning or evening) to have your hair cut.



- booking a hairdresser to do the deed in the privacy of your own home.



- cutting most of the length yourself (or ask a friend to do it if they're willing), probably to about shoulder length, then heading to the hairdresser to finish it off into the style you want.



- donate your ponytail to one of the hair charities, but I can't see how this would decrease other people's curiosity, personally - I think they'd be more likely to want to watch.



As far as Rihanna's style, I don't think you'd necessarily have to have the back clippered. I think she has a blunt bob at the back, which is exactly at the length of the nape of her neck, or maybe slightly shorter (they could achieve this just with scissors), but the graduated front sections are cut with a razor, rather than scissors. Mind you, if you have really thick hair, you might need a clippered "undercut" at the back to keep it laying down smoothly.



Oooohh... just the thought of those clippers going up your neck sends shivers up my spine! They do say it's a really liberating feeling though.



Good luck, whatever you decide. What about a compromise position to start with - have a few inches cut off and see how you feel?



Rihanna bob: Is the back shaved or buzzed?

I just might brave the clippers! Report It



Rihanna bob: Is the back shaved or buzzed?

I'm the same way you are. I love her hair and the graduated bobs. I'm not sure what the back of hers looks like. I've thought about cutting mine for years and always chicken out. I am really afraid that people will look at me differently and for some reason it makes me really uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment