Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Greatest guitar artists... help me?

I need some help on this: Putting together a list of greatest guitarists of all time (innovators and players), Need the expertise of 鈥榯he yahoo鈥檚鈥?to get it right. With me? Players: Django Reinhardt 鈥?the greatest ever, Frank Zappa 鈥?the man could play, Adrian Belew 鈥?twang bar king, Andre Segovia 鈥?classical? none better, Chet Atkins 鈥?amazing, Roy Clark 鈥?too bad it was country, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin 鈥?ommmmm, Eddy Van Halen 鈥?I wish he played something different than鈥?well you know. Innovators: Charlie Christianson 鈥?papa of jazz git? Charles Edward 鈥淐harlie鈥?Anderson, "Chuck" Berry 鈥?come on, Jimmy Page 鈥?what is Rock and Roll, Alex? Huddie William Ledbetter 鈥?the world鈥檚 greatest cotton picker, Bob Marley 鈥?the rasta mon, John Lee Hooker -- Bertha De Blues, Robert Johnson/Elmore James 鈥?RJ died and Elmo carried on. This is where it gets dicey: The maybes:Neil Young -- Mister bad hair, Eric Clapton 鈥?copied many bluesmen, Ry Cooder 鈥?plays anything with strings, Paco de Lucia 鈥?defines flamenco. Bass git: John Entwistle 鈥?uh huh, Paul McCartney 鈥?listen the bass line on Helter Skelter if you buy it. Bootsy Collins 鈥?and he dresses so well



Females: Joan Jett, Cindy Bullins, Louise Post, Tina Weymouth



Who am I missing?



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

impressive and far reaching list - kuddos on inclusion of Django Reinhardt! Hendrix has to be on that list somewhere. I would also consider some great slide guitar players like Duane Allman and Bonnie Raitt. Okay some other influencers - David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Joe Pass, Jeff Beck, The Edge, Carlos Santana, SRV, Trey Anastasio, Robbie Robertson, David Lindley, Jerry Garcia, Peter Green, T-Bone Walker. I agree - Neil Young is in there considering his longevity, diversity and volume.



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Jimi Hendrix



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Only 2 of the best, Zakk Wylde and Jimi Hendrix.



Billy Gibbons- ZZ Top



Randy Rhoads



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Jimi Hendrix!!!!! He was ahead of his time . . .



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughan beats Clapton anyday



SRV! and Double Trouble



have a great 2008!



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Peter Frampton



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

jimmy hendricks, tommy lee, b b king



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

John McLaughlin doesn't use the "Mahavishnu" anymore... just thought I'd mention, Stevie Ray Vaughan was great in my book, under females I would say Bonnie Raitt and Joni Mitchell



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Stevie Ray Vaughn



Greatest guitar artists... help me?

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnnie Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd are all great bluesmen.



And don't forget Bob Dylan--people often take him for granted, but just listen to him play sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment